Promotions can help draw in new customers, attract customers away from the competition, get existing customers to purchase more from you and help stimulate business during slow periods. So if you aren't leveraging promotions, you could be missing out on potential business.
Rarely can one promotion accomplish all of the above scenarios at once, but thanks to the flexible and powerful promotions system in WHMCS, you can offer a wide range of promotions to help grow and drive your business.
A well-thought-out, properly targeted promotion prompts customers to take action. Promotional offers must be strong enough to compel, but reasonable enough to keep your business profitable. Avoid uninspiring 10 to 20 percent discounts, but also avoid very deep discounts unless they promote a loss leader to generate other higher-margin sales, or unless they'll attract valuable new customers into your business. It's a tricky balance to find but done right, promotions can be a very valuable marketing asset.
In this blog post, I take a look at the promotion code and coupon features WHMCS offers, and provide some examples of how you can leverage these to help grow your business.
Types of promotionsDiscount Methods
- Choose between percentage and monetary discount amounts to help create the discounts how you want to offer them. Free Setup
- For products which include a setup fee, create promotional codes that waive the setup fee to encourage purchases. One Time or Recurring
- Offer one-off discounts or recurring discounts, and with recurring discounts, choose between discounts that last forever and those which only last for a fixed number of recurring cycles. This allows you to create promotions such as 50% off for the first 6 months and similar. New Customers Only
- Allows you to incentivise new customers without allowing your existing customers to cancel and signup again. Existing Customers Only
- Allows you to incentivise your existing customers by providing promotions that don't work for new customers. Billing Cycles
- Allowing you to create promotions that are only valid for use with selected billing cycles enables you to incentivise users into longer-term buy-ins and commitments. Product Requirements
- With the product requirements feature, you can create promotion codes that are only valid when a specific combination of products are purchased. You can take this a step further and require the products to be purchased together, or allow a previous purchase to qualify as well. Limit Use
- Set a limit on how many times a promotion can be used to help drive urgency and WHMCS will automatically prevent further use once that limit is reached. You can also restrict promotions eligibility to once per order, per client, or both. Start/End Dates
- Set start and end dates for your promotions to target specific events and times of the year, for example, the Black Friday and Cyber Monday events that are coming up next month.
Here are just some examples of the types of promotions you can offer using WHMCS:
Offer this by creating a promotion that is set to offer a 50% discount, on a monthly billing cycle product, and recur 6 times.
Offer this by creating a promotion that applies to selected hosting plans, requires the annual billing cycle, and check the "Existing Client" option.
Offer this by creating a promotion that gives a $50 fixed price discount with the billing cycles restricted to Biennial only.
Offer this by creating a promotion that applies to your RapidSSL product addon, and requires selected hosting plans, and set it to a fixed price discount equal to the price of the RapidSSL Certificate for 1 year
Offer this by creating a promotion that applies to the Weebly Site Builder addon, and requires the Starter web hosting plan.
Offer this promotion by creating a promotion that offers a 100% discount, that is set to recur for 3 billing cycles.
Offer this by creating a promotion that offers a fixed price $50 discount off selected hosting plan packages, and requires the Weebly Site Builder as a product addon
With Black Friday and Cyber Monday coming up next month, what better time to experiment with incorporating promotions into your marketing strategy. Done well, promotional offers can convince visitors to take action and make a purchase from you, and more customers is better for everyone.
If you have any ways in which you've used promotions that have worked well for you, I invite you to share them in the comments below.
Liked this article? Share it